Sunday, May 29, 2011

Whole30 - Day 1

So the last half of yesterday was just a warm-up for me...to get my mind in the right place. Today starts the real deal.

Just for the sake of comparison, I weighed myself this morning. I might step on a scale every month or two, so I wasn't sure what I weighed. For the record, I'm 208. I know it's not a weight loss program, but if I lose weight I want to know about it! :) And they do say that, while you may not lose weight, your body composition will change. So even if I don't lose weight, I'll be totally stoked if my clothes fit better and I look a little leaner. My goal has never been to be skinny...it's to be healthy. Now the scale is put up in the cabinet, not to be touched again until next month.

I'm already seeing how, since you eat better, you need to eat more. This food moves right on through my system and I find myself hungry after a few hours. Like hungry...not just bored or thirsty. :) So I got up, fed the dogs, got the kids situated, changed the baby, etc. and noticed that I was starving! So as I prepared my breakfast, I grabbed a handful of blueberries out of the fridge to nosh on. I pre-washed most of my produce last night so that it's easy to snack...no prepping, no washing, just grab and go. I sauteed broccoli, shredded carrots, and green onions in coconut oil, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. Then added three eggs and scrambled. It was delish! Drinking my coffee now with coconut milk. I don't miss the sugar. The coconut milk has a very subtil sweetness and flavor that I enjoy.

As I moved through my morning, I paid attention to labels. I would say that 80-90% of what's in my fridge has sugar or soy of some type. It's amazing! The lunch meat, the breakfast sausage, seasonings...is it really necessary? I love the fact that the food I've eaten thus far today has been minimal processed (it was cooked, so it was processed). I wonder if I'm going to get sick of coconut.

No comments: