Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day...

Happy Mother's Day to me!  And to my awesome moms and all mothers out there!  I have a grand total of four moms.  Yep, four.  Closest to my heart are my lovely mother, Mary Sutherland, and my longsuffering step-mother, Nina Greenwood (a.k.a MamaG).  They have both played such huge parts in my life, in making me who I am today.  Also in the mom-roll are Mary Murray, my mother-in-law, and Janet Dempsey, my step-mother-in-law.  I'm grateful for all of these wonderful women who have played their own role in my life.

As for my Mother's Day, it was nice!  I got to sleep in a little bit, then a friend of ours watched the boys so we could do an afternoon movie and early dinner.  When we went to pick them up, Deklan wanted to spend the night.  We explained to him what that means, not just that he gets to stay till the movie is over, but he was going to sleep over there and not see us till the morning.  He was a bit tearful and said that he would miss us, but he really wanted to stay.  So, Deklan is officially on his first sleep-over!  I'm so sad...I miss him more than I thought I would.  I know that probably sounds terrible, but it's true!  I miss the little things, like checking in on him while he sleeps, and bundling him up in the morning to drive me to work, gathering up Poochie and Milo (his favorite stuffed animals) and his trains, and hearing his little voice from the backseat in the morning saying "There's the train!" (we drive by a train station every morning), to which I always reply "There it is!"  *sigh*  My mommy heart is broken.  I thought for sure we'd get a phone call this evening saying that he wanted to come home, but we didn't.  He's fine.  I've called and he's doing great.  I miss my baby!!!  All in all, though, I had a really great day.

For my Mother's Day gift, Travis is helping me add to my library.  He got me two books, Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein, and Pushed by Jennifer Block.  I read a little bit of each tonight and got all fired up...poor Travis!  He always gets an earful!  Books like that get me to thinking...should I pursue a career in homebirth/birthing home midwifery, or should I also practice in a hospital?  I never thought that I'd want to work in a hospital.  But statistics are overwhelming.  Blogs like "Nursing Birth" also inspire me to try to help the women who want or have to go to the hospital to have their baby, and do it naturally.  They shouldn't have to fight to get what they want.  I suppose things will unfold the way that they are meant to be.

So, here I sit.  A mother to two precious little boys.  I could not ask for bigger blessings in my life.  I have a husband who loves us all and is a wonderful father to our children.  I have Deklan, my wild, silly, sensitive firstborn who awes me every day by his growing personality.  And I have Gavin, my stubborn, sweet, and affectionate baby who awes me every day by his tenacity and love for everyone around him.  By the way, he cut another front tooth today!  The Lord has truly blessed me beyond what I ever deserved.  He lent these boys to me for a time, and I hope and pray that I can do right by them.  Deklan's newest spurt of independence made us think today...one of these days he'll be in school, falling for girls, driving, dating, getting married...I can't imagine my baby driving a car!  Already almost 5 years has gone by since my first child was born.  I want nothing more than to be a good mother to them, to set a good example so that when they do get to that age, they won't depart from the way they should go.  

No comments: